Thursday 31 May 2012

The Italian Pantry


Location: 27 - 29 Federal St, North Hobart
Phone: (03) 6231 2788
Opening hours: Mon - Thurs 8am - 6pm, Fri 8am - 9.30pm, Sat 8am - 3pm

Kids menu: No

Adult menu:  Scrambled eggs on ciabatta with side options of sausage, mushrooms, tomato or bacon.  A number of pasta's, risotto, soup, pizza for lunch.
Prices: Varies depending on menu, generally snack type items around $5, while larger options such as risotto or pasta are around the $10 - $15 mark




Mumma Review:

After posting my review of The Italian Pantry - Trattoria Friday Night I received a few comments about how good their chocolate donuts are.  I couldn't resist.  I returned there that very same day!  In my defence, feeding a newborn baby requires a higher calorie intake than normal...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

While our toddler was spending a day in child care, hubby and I took our 8 day old baby for her first cafe experience.  She slept through the whole outing.  A far cry from the first outing we took when our son was a newborn - tag team eating while he took turns screaming in our arms.

When we arrived we got a park right outside the door in the limited onsite parking.  There is good pram access into the building and there's plenty of room for a pram or capsule around the tables in the front cafe.  A basket of toys, and highchairs complete the kid friendly features.


The menu does change, so check the board when you are there.  Breakfast finishes at 11am, and the kitchen closes at 3pm.  
As for the chocolate donut, mmm so good...warm and doughy, crisp on the outside, and oozing with thick warm chocolate on the inside.


My coffee was strong and full flavoured.  Having not had one for a while I thought it was going to knock my socks off, which would have been fine, but I didn't want it to knock bubs socks off too (or in this case, her little knitted booties) so I only managed less than half.  I enjoyed what I did have though!

Once we were finished we had a browse around the deli where I came face to face with the famous chocolate donuts, packaged to take home.  I stood transfixed by the ingredient list for a while...butter, oils, fats.... I guess there is a reason why they taste so good!
I'm definitely heading back again to sample some food off the menu, so many of the options sounded yummy.  Here's what one of our followers had to say about their experience of 
The Italian Pantry:

Last Saturday my partner and I wanted to venture out for our first Breakkie since Miss A was born. Not wanting to battle out Salamanca with her in the pram, we thought we'd try somewhere different...where to check, Mumma needs Coffee!!! We got online and checked your blog if the Italian Pantry did breakfasts and off we went! 
We got there about 9.15 am so there was plenty of space/table choice, by 10am the place was full.
The staff were so friendly and the service was prompt. The coffee was simply delicious and we both couldn't go past their $8.50 scrambled eggs and both had a side of bacon and mushrooms (2-2.50 each). Although the mushrooms came a little late, they were the BEST side of mushrooms I've ever eaten, fresh juicy Shitakes!
A delicious, well priced breakfast and we had a great little shop in the pantry afterwards!
Thank you for helping our first breakfast out go smoothly!

Feel free to let us know what you've sampled from their menu, and what you thought of it, we love hearing from you!

Love Mumma Kel x


Open large map

2 comments:

  1. What a great site. Coming to Hobart this Christmas and will be looking up the Italian Pantry. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I hope you enjoy your Christmas break in Hobart

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear your thoughts :) Love Mumma Al & Mumma Kel xx